This guide is geared around explaining how Zoom and Citrix work together. It will show you the Architecture and provide information for what is needed on the clients. There is information added in the document for education purposes as well.
Zoom VDI information
- Zoom requires both the “Zoom Media Plugin” + “Zoom Client for VDI” to match exactly from version 2.1.5 documented at – https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360031768011-New-Updates-for-Virtual-Desktop-Infrastructure-VDI-
- The Citrix Team handles the “Zoom Client for VDI” installations on all VDI machines. The information here Is strictly for informational purpose
- For your company managed device You can use SCCM to push out the “Zoom Media Plugin” to corporate devices
- Personal devices that are being used to connect to Citrix VDI/Published will need the “Zoom Media Plugin” installed on their personal device. We provided a URL for the employee to go and download this. Remember Its important to make sure the Plugin need to match on the Client and VDI side
The current VDI installer is
Zoom VDI installer
The Clients need to have this version
Zoom Plugin for Clients
VDI downloads and backwards compatibility Chart
- This is a link to show you the backwards compatiblity
Zoom VDI Plugins for Clients URL
High Level Architecture of Zoom in Citrix
How to install the “Zoom Media Plugin” for a personal device
Open an internet browser of the user choice.
Put this URL in the search bar https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/360052984292
Download the required Zoom Media Plugin for the operating system that is needed
In this example I have a Windows Operating System. I downloaded Windows x86 or x64: 5.4.59208.1207. Once it downloads, the Zoom Media Plugin. The typical area of download will be store in the Downloads folder.
Double click on the ZoomCitrixHDXMediaPlugin.msi. It will now open up and start the process.
Once its starts intalling, It will ask you if you want to allow the software to make changes to your device. Click yes
If you receive this error, you have to close out of the Citrix session, and Exit Citrix workspace
Before exiting the Citrix workspace, Please save all your work and properly exit the running application.
Once you complete this, proceed to exiting from Citrix Workspace.
Go to the task tray in the right-hand corner, hit the up arrow, and click “sign out”
If you get this, click sign out.
Give it 30 seconds, and procced to Exit Workspace.
Go to the task tray in the right hand corner, Hit the up arrow, and click “sign out”
Now go back to the zoom install, and click retry
You will then see this
You can verify this shows in control panel, under programs and features
You have completed the Zoom Media Plugin on the client device you are using. Now you go log back into the Citrix Virtual desktop and resume your work.
Testing Cam and Audio
Open up the Zoom setting and look at the statistics to see what is doing.
Picked my Mic up just fine
- When I needed to start rolling this out, I found that Zoom makes a user install as well. Just like teams. So, I found an uninstaller CMD and deployed it with Citrix WEM.
- When I user goes to connect to a meeting this will come up.
- It appears though if you have the Zoom VDI client in first it will not install this either.
- I Created a WEM external Task, that will run this. %appdata%\Zoom\uninstall\Installer.exe /uninstall /silent
- I plan on app masking this location, I just need to make sure I don’t break Zoom and understand the details.
- Ideally, I would app mask this location C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Zoom
- Add Zoom.exe into the CPU optimization area
- Citrix Virtual Desktops – Zoom – Microphone and video not working in ICA session
- Download and install the Zoom Citrix Media Plugin found in the link below install the client of the VDA and the plugin on the endpoint:
- Note: Plugin version must be the same on the VDA and endpoint
- Additional resources:
Zooms Troubleshooting Resource
VDI Client Registry Settings
Group Policy Settings
So far, I would say Zoom is very nice over its competitors. Not everyone is lucky though and can go out and purchase it. But if your company does, This guide along with http://axendatacentre.com/blog/tag/zoom-is-unable-to-detect-a-camera-citrix/ guide will get you going in a flash.